What is it: Aadhaar is a 12 digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the Government of India. It is a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India for any individual who is a resident in India and satisfies the verification process laid down by the UIDAI, irrespective of age and gender, caste, creed, religion . Enroll for Aadhaar is free of cost. Each Aadhaar number is unique to an individual and will remain valid for life.
- It is not a proof of citizenship,
- It can be used to claim government benefits and services,
- It can be used by the underprivileged residents in accessing services such as the formal banking system, giving the opportunity to easily avail various other services provided by the Government and the private sector.
How to get it:
- Aadhaar enrolment is free and needs to be done only once. You can go to any authorized Aadhaar enrollment center anywhere in India with your identity and address proof such as:-
- voters card,
- ration card,
- driving license,
- photo ID cards like PAN card and Govt ID cards, photo bank ATM card, CGHS/ECHS photo cards, pensioner photo card, freedom fighter photo card, Kissan photo passbook,
- NREGS job card are permissible for identity proof.
- Address proof documents also include water – electricity – telephone bills from the last three months,
- property tax receipt,
- insurance policy,
- signed letter having photo on bank letterhead,
- post office account statement or passbook,
- credit card statement (not older than 3 months),
- vehicle registration certificate,
- rent, lease, registered sale-agreement.
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA /Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead or by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) is accepted.
- If you do not have address proof, Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead is also accepted.
- If you do not have any of the documents mentioned above, you can still get your Aadhaar card by taking the help of Introducers. Contact your Aadhaar office to get more information.
- At the enrollment center, please fill your personal details within the form. Your photo, finger-prints and iris scan will also be taken as a part of the enrollment.
It generally takes 50-90 days to process your Aadhaar card and send it to your residence through post.
You can also check your enrollment status online on the official website of UIDAI by entering the 14 digit Enrollment number and 14 digit date and time on the acknowledgement slip.
Aadhaar Card Helpline No: 1800-180-1947 or email at email@example.com
For more details, please visit: http://www.aadharcardstatus.net.in/documents-needed-for-aadhaar-card/