Department: Department of school education and literacy.
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is an effort to Universalize Elementary Education by community – ownership of the school system giving free and compulsory Education to the Children of 6-14 years age group – a Fundamental Right. It is a partnership between the central, state and local governments.
Objectives and frame: The programme seeks to open new schools in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities and strengthen existing school infrastructure through provision of additional class rooms, toilets, drinking water, maintenance grant and school improvement grants.
SSA seeks to provide quality elementary education including life skills. SSA has a special focus on girl’s education and children with special needs. SSA also seeks to provide computer education to bridge the digital divide.
The SSA Mission strives to secure the right to quality basic education for all children in the 5+ to 13+ years age group. The goals of the SSA Mission are :-
- Enrolment of all children in school , Education Guarantee Centers, Alternate Schools, Back to School Camp within 2005
- Retention of all children till the upper primary stage by 2010.
- Bridging of gender & social category gaps in enrolment, retention and learning.
- Ensuring that there is significant enhancement in the learning achievement level of children at the primary & upper primary stage.
- Each district would set target dates by which the goals of SSA would be achieved in the specific context but not later than 2010
- District would evolve a mechanism for regular objective assessment of students learning level with the help of the state officials.
- Empowering of children to be active participants in a knowledge society.
- A result oriented approach with accountability towards performance & output at all levels.
- A people centered mode of implementation of educational interventions with involvement of all stakeholders specially teachers, parents, community, & Panchayati Raj Institutions and voluntary organizations.
- An equity based approach that focuses on the needs of educationally backward areas and disadvantaged social groups including Children With Special Needs, Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Minorities.
- A holistic effort to ensure convergence of investment, an initiative for improving the efficiency of the elementary education system.
- Institutional reforms and capacity building to ensure sustained effort for UEE.
The Government has approved a new programme called ‘The National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level’ as a part of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan which provides additional components for Education of Girls at Elementary Level. NPEGEL has been formulated for education of under privileged/disadvantaged girls from Class I to Class VIII as a separate and distinct gender component plan of SSA. The gender component is necessary to achieve UEE for girls in educationally backward areas.
NPEGEL has been formulated for education of under privileged/disadvantaged girls from Class I to Class VIII as a separate and distinct gender component plan of SSA.
The scheme is applicable in the following areas:
- Educationally Backward Blocks, where rural female literacy is less than the national average (46.13%, Census 2001) and the gender gap is above the national average (21.59%, Census 2001).
- Blocks of Districts having at least 5% SC/ST population and SC/ST female literacy rate below 10% shall also be taken up under this programme.
- Selected Urban Slums.
What are the services to the public being given under the programme:
- Construction of new School building, BRC’S CRC’S, Sanitary Blocks, Water Supply Repairs and Maintenance of Building etc.
- Free Text books to students
- Free medical checkup (IED)
- Disbursement of Aids and Appliances for CWSN.
How to avail:
Description of the service
Eligibility conditions for availing
Medical checkup and free text books
AIE, EGS Centres
Children from 6-14 years
Children from 6-14 years
From 3-6 Years
For 6-14 Years
For all students in the District