Department: Department of school education and literacy.
With a view to enhancing enrollment, retention and attendance and simultaneously improving nutritional levels among children, the National Programme of Nutritional Support to Primary Education (NP-NSPE) was launched on 15th August 1995.
Mid Day Meal Scheme guarantees that every child in every Government and Government aided primary school was to be served a prepared Mid Day Meal with a minimum content of 300 calories of energy and 8-12 gram protein per day for a minimum of 200 days.
The key objectives of the programme are:
- protecting children from classroom hunger,
- increasing school enrollment and attendance,
- improved socialization among children belonging to all castes,
- addressing malnutrition, and
- social empowerment through provision of employment to women.
Target Group: All Children attending any public school or government aided school in any state in India. Also, children studying in Education Guarantee scheme and Alternative and Innovative Education centers.
To be availed in any government school.
- New panel to monitor mid-day meal scheme (thehindu.com)