Tag Archives: application

OBC Certificate


Drying cattle dung for household fuel in West ...

Drying cattle dung for household fuel in West Bengal (Photo credit: ILRI)


WHAT IT IS : In the constitution, OBCs are described as “socially and educationally backward classes”. The Central Government of India categorizes some of its citizens into SC/ST/OBC, taking into account their economic and social condition. The government is enjoined to ensure their social and educational development by providing social and economic security and welfare schemes. Under Article 340 of the Indian Constitution, it is obligatory for the government to promote the welfare of the Other Backward Classes (OBC).


The OBC Certificate is a form of Caste Certificate. This Certificate contains the fact that one belong to the OBC i.e. Other Backward Community. This is an important document for the person belonging to the OBC’s.


IMPORTANCEA person belonging to the OBC caste and who has the certificate can avail the reservation facilities provided by the Government of India in schools, colleges and offices which are wholly or partly funded by the government. Peoples with an OBC certificate are entitled to certain reservations regarding the following:


  • reservations in educational institutes
  • reservations in government service
  • reservations in legislatures
  • To obtain relaxation in the upper age limit for certain jobs.




  1. The applicant must be a citizen of India.
  2. He is a permanent resident of West Bengal since 15-03-1993.
  3. He is an ordinary resident at the address currently residing.
  4. He belongs to the said community/ class. (annexe 1: http://www.anagrasarkalyan.gov.in/htm/obc_list.html)
  5. His identity.
  6. The applicant does not fall under ‘creamy layer’. (Determination of creamy layer is guided by the points laid out in http://www.anagrasarkalyan.gov.in/htm/reserv-4.html)


Where to applyThe applications will be received in concerned block office, SDO office and office of the District Development Officer (Kolkata) if the applicants (OBC) are from a block municipal area under a subdivision and Kolkata respectively. The District Development officer (Kolkata) may have some arrangements to receive applications through borough offices.


HOW TO GET IT:  (The procedure is similar to that of SC/ST Certificate).


For Kolkata, applications can be submitted to the office of the District Welfare Officer, Kolkata.


The documents that are required to verify the criteria are:


  • Citizenship Certificate.
  • Voter I card of self or parent(s).
  • Authenticated Voter list of self or parent(s).
  • PAN Card of self or parent(s).
  • Birth Certificate from Competent Authority.
  • Caste certificate of parent(s).
  • Any Govt. Document proving citizenship.
  • Land deed or land tax receipt.
  • Voter list proving residence since 1993.
  • Birth Certificate proving residence since 1993.
  • Ration Card proving residence since 1993.
  • Caste certificate of parent(s).
  • Any Govt. Document proving permanent residence since 1993.
  • Land deed or land tax receipt of local residence.
  • Voter I card of self or parent(s).
  • Certificate from Competent Authority.
  • Rent receipt of local residence.
  • Pass Book of a Nationalised Bank, Gramin Bank, Post Office or Co-operative Bank.
  • BPL Card.
  • Any Govt. Document proving local residence.
  • Caste certificate of any paternal blood relation and proof of such relation.
  • Copy of old land deed (prior to 1950) specifying community name in that document.
  • Any Govt. Document proving class identity.


Class Identity-


  • Caste Certificate of any person of parental lineage and proof of that relation.
  • Copy of old land deed (pre 1950) where class name was mentioned.
  • Any government document in support of class identity.


For identity –


  • Admit Card.
  • Voter I card.
  • PAN Card.
  • Birth Certificate from Competent Authority.
  • Identity Card by employer/ educational Institution.
  • Pass Book of Bank Account.
  • Any Govt. Document proving identity.


Creamy Layer- (OBC applicants should not belong to the ‘creamy layer’).


  • Income Certificates of parents from employers (not more than three months old from the date of filing application.
  • Income Tax Return for last three years of parents.
  • If not employed, income certificate from any competent authority (not more than three months old from the date of filing application).
  • Any Govt. Document proving income of parents.


NB: If the annual income of parents of an applicant is less than Rs. 4.5 lakh p.a. and their income from other sources in less than Rs. 4.5 lakh p.a. then the applicant will not be considered as belonging to ‘creamy layer’ even if the total of such incomes exceeds Rs. 4.5 lakh p.a. for the last three years. Incidentally it needs a mention that income from agricultural resources is not considered when such proof of income is applied.


The eligibility of an applicant can be determined on the basis of certificates issued by gram pradhan, municipality chairman, Councillor, MLA or MP together with investigation report and hearing if any one of documents stated above is not available. An application may be submitted without any document. In that case the certificate issued by gram pradhan and the investigation report will be under consideration. Age proof is not necessary for issuing a OBC certificate.


WHEN DO I GET IT: Ordinarily, an application for OBC certificate is to be disposed of within eight weeks from the date of its submission. The applicant has a right to know the status of his application, once filed. Hence, if demanded, status of his application has to be provided to the applicant.






Filed under Caste Certificate

Ration Card

Rice Diversity. Part of the image collection o...

Rice Diversity. Part of the image collection of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) . (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

What is itA ration card is issued under the authority of the state government, as per the public distribution system, enabling people to make purchases of essentials at discounted price from fair price shops.


  • A ration card is a very vital document for an Indian citizen.
  • Apart from providing essential goods at a subsidized rate, it also is a proof of residence and citizenship.
  •  It is also a must to get a passport, bank account, trade license, driving license, issue a card of employment exchange.
  • It acts as an important tool for identification while applying for other certificates like the Domicile Certificate, Voters ID Card.

How to get it: For new ration card, contact your local  Food and Civil Supplies department on any working days (i.e Monday-Friday) to obtain the application form for making a new consumer (Ration) card.

Note: You can also download the application form from the website of the Food and Supplies Department, Government of West Bengal. (weblink: http://www.wbfood.gov.in/rationing.php)

 Documents that are required are as follows:

  1. Passport sized photographs of the head of the family attested by a gazette officer/MLA/MP/Municipal Councillor,
  2. Voter identity card,
  3. A Rs. 2 worth of court fee stamp,
  4. The surrender/ Deletion Certificate of the previous Ration Card, if there was any,
  5. Specified proofs of residence.
  6.  Any one of the following documents as residential proof:
  • Receipt of tax payment
  • Document of rent agreement 
  • Gas bill
  • Bank passbook 
  • Electricity bill
  • Telephone bill
  • Letter mailed by post office in your house

In case you are not able to provide any proof of residence, the circle FSO conducts spot inquiries by recording the statements of two independent witnesses in your neighbourhood.

If a new born baby’s name is to be enlisted in the family ration card, then

  •  Go to Food and Commodities section of District collector Office
  •  Collect application form
  •  Indicate your relationship with your baby in the form

Additionally, the following documents are required along with the application form:

  •  Birth certificate of new born baby
  • Your marriage certificate
  • Parents’ ration card of your child, that is, you and your husband/wife’s ration card.

In the existing ration card, if you want to make any corrections, you need to fill up a form (available at http://www.wbfood.gov.in/rationing.php) and apply to the rationing officer of your locality with relevant documents. 

In case of change of address outside the Sub area, you must obtain a surrender certificate given by the previous ration office, get the ration cards cancelled from the Ration Office of issue and apply for a fresh ration card with the rationing officer of the changed area.

If you have lost your ration card, then file a diary with the police, fill up a form (available at http://www.wbfood.gov.in/rationing.php) and contact your local  Food and Civil Supplies department with all documents.

Note: Please carry all the documents with the hard copy of the application form (if downloaded from the website) both in original and photocopies.  Normally it takes 15 days for a Ration Card to be issued.

BPL, AAY and Annapurna ration cards are issued by the Rationing Officer on the basis of lists prepared by Panchayat and Rural Development Deptt. / Municipal Affairs Department.

Apart from Ration Cards being issued to individuals, such Cards are also issued to the Social Welfare Institution / NGOs on receipt of the following:-

  1.  Prayer / Application
  2.  Residential Proof
  3.  Certificate from Social Welfare Department
  4.  List of Inmates with supporting documents
  5.  Source of Income.

GrievancesYou can complain about any problem regarding collection of ration by dint of ‘public cell’ through an application or addressing – To, The Director, Public Grievance & Assistance Office, Khadya Bhavan, 11A Free School Street, Calcutta – 700 087.

Area Office throughout Calcutta


(I) Deputy Director of Rationing/Initial Area II :


(1) Shyampukur  Shed no.- 14  11A, Free School Street, Calcutta – 87
(2) Maniktala II  Shed no. – 6 11A, Free School Street, Calcutta – 87
(3) Jorasanko  Shed no. – 6 11A, Free School Street, Calcutta – 87
(4) Burrabazar  Shed no. – 6  11A, Free School Street, Calcutta – 87
(5) Park Street  50, Rippon Street, Calcutta – 16.
(6) Muchipara  70E, Ananda Palit Road, Calcutta – 14.
(7) Beliaghata P-20, Beliaghata Main Road, Calcutta – 85.
(8) Maniktala II 224, A.P.C. Road, Calcutta.
(9) Chitpur  224, A.P.C. Road, Calcutta.
(10) Amherst Street 116 Vivekananda Road, Calcutta – 6.
(11) Cossipore 5 K.C. Road, Calcutta – 2
(12) Burrabazar  3 Baipuntha Sen Lane, Burrabazar, Calcutta. 

(II) Deputy Director of Rationing/Initial Area I :


(1) Bhawanipore  51B, Kali Temple Road, Calcutta – 16
(2) Wartgunge 52B, Kali Temple Road, Calcutta – 26.
(3) Behala West  15A, S,M. Roy Road, Calcutta – 38.
(4) Garden Reach B-193 Garden Reach, Calcutta – 24 
(5) Tollygunge 145, Regent Park, Calcutta – 40.
(6) Jadavpur 40A, Southand Park, Calcutta – 29.
(7) Haltu  CIT Complex, Jadavpur.
(8) Ballygunge 24 Hindustan Park, Calcutta – 29. 
(9) Behala East P-656 Tollygunge Circular Road, Cal – 53.
(10) Beniapukur 5/10C Rifle Range Road, Cal – 19.
(11) New Alipore  12, Peary Mohan, Calcutta – 27.


Filed under Citizenship Document